We welcome Mikki Kendall, writer of fiction, nonfiction, comics, and unintentionally viral social media tags (#solidarityisforwhitewomen) to the show to talk the freelance life, when to go pro, and what kind of baked goods gets you jobs.
HEY- don’t forget Matt and I will be at WorldCon, with a LIVE DITCH DIGGERS coming Thursday at noon! Those of you playing at home, there may be video.
– Recording in Morgan Freeman’s apiary and why you never upset Morgan’s bees.
– An overview of Mikki as a freelance writer.
– How Mikki landed her first comic book writing gig using social media, cupcakes, and very apparent writing ability, and how the comics writing process works.
– Creating the hashtag that propelled Mikki’s social media presence.
– The nuts and bolts of using social media to build a platform (which, in addition to complex sociopolitical issues, can and does include live-tweeting VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop” every Monday night).
– Dealing with the inevitable trolls across your social media presence.
– Moving forward once you blow up on social media.
– Dealing with editor’s notes (Mur tells her infamous “choad” story).
– Mikki agrees with Matt about the philosophical cross-applicability of the 1980’s Patrick Swayze classic ROAD HOUSE.
– Mikki’s decision to go freelance full-time, the logistics of how she and her husband arrived at that decision, and how she built up her freelance writing portfolio and presence beforehand.
– How to build a platform from scratch now in a post-social network age.
Where to find Mikki on-line…
Mikki’s comics-writing debut SWORDS OF SORROW: MISS FURY & LADY RAWHIDE from Dynamite Entertainment.
Submit to HIDDEN YOUTH: SPECULATIVE FICTION FROM THE MARGINS OF HISTORY, an upcoming anthology from Crossed Genres Publications.
Buy our books so we can eat! (affiliate)