Podcast: Play in new window | Download
- Mur and Matt come to you live from the mud room of Morgan Freeman’s trophy solarium (because they haven’t earned the right to go inside yet).
- Ditch Diggers has been nominated for a Hugo Award! You did it! Mur and Matt will go up against the likes of The Coode Street Podcast and Tea & Jeopardy in Helsinki for Best Fancast (even though we’re all professionals. Because there’s only one podcast category)! Thank you to all Ditch Diggers listeners who supported the show and don’t forget to vote for Mur and Matt for the Hugo itself!
- It’s listener’s choice! Mur and Matt select questions from their listeners to address in detail as the topic of the show.
- First up, for those who write many kinds of things, which writing medium/format to focus on when you being pursuing freelance writing as a serious job. Blogging? Books? Screenwriting? Should you focus on one thing or two things or all of them?
- Secondly, Mur and Matt talk about writing prep, everything from outlining to creating playlists. What’s necessary for the task ahead and how much is too much?
- Regular Twitter and email Q&A.
Here are all the Hugo finalists, with the most important category first! (Bold categories have guest hosted Ditch Diggers!) Continue reading Ditch Diggers #37: Listener Request and HUGO HUGO HUGO
The news is out, it’s very exciting, so exciting we may vomit.
You did it!
Ditch Diggers got nominated for BEST FANCAST Hugo Award!
We have been sitting on this news for two weeks, freaking out quietly. Like professionals, dammit. I didn’t really believe it, and since I’m writing this on Monday I am secretly* worrying that in the next 24 hours something will happen to take it away from us. It happens, after all.
Matt and I are very proud of what we’ve turned Ditch Diggers into, and we are so grateful for the nomination. I’ll be representing us in Finland at WorldCon 75, and we’ll be working hard to keep the awesome content coming in the meantime!
*I know, I’m blogging so it’s not so secret…
Matt and I had a great live Ditch Diggers at WorldCon! The room was full, the agents were entertaining, and we killed many clients during the Agent D&D adventure through the Dark Forest of Publishing. (Poor Sam Morgan had two of his four clients die – they lost clients instead of hit points – and he had enough clients at the recording that two came up to throw themselves at his feet, dead.)
Special thanks to my agent, Jen Udden, and agents Sam Morgan and Connor Goldsmith!
On Hugo night, we have to admit it, we were wondering if we were going to be on the long list. The Fucker Puppies had dominated the Best Fancast and Best Related Works categories, so we didn’t know where we stood till we saw the long list after the Hugos. We found ourselves at number 11 of 15 in nominations, which isn’t that bad. Matt points out that if none of the puppies were there at all, we would have been #6. Maybe next year.
We looked damn good on Hugo night, regardless.
It was a great con, for inside-baseball reasons that had to do with meetings and connections, seeing both of our agents, and spending time with my husband & daughter, Matt’s love-of-his-life, and good friends.
Next, the bad news – the recording was corrupted and we didn’t save any of it. I’ve spent a a great deal of time kicking myself, even playing Sherlock Holmes on my phone to find any possible places it could be hiding.
But it was awesome. You can ask people.
See y’all in Helsinki.